Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 2 and the rain continues

So I found out yesterday that a typhoon had recently hit the region and thailand and Laos are suffering from flooding in regional areas. So far the human toll is limited but once again the poor regions have to rebuild their lives. The remaining clouds hanging over the region are the left overs of the typhoon and according to the weather forecast will be around a bit longer.

But enough about tue weather. Yesterday was productive as I caught up with Sunny from Abundant Water and he kindly took me out to the research compound. The first impression of a compound full of old vehicles and boats was nit what I expected. But tucked away at the back the etched outline of a kiln could be see shading under a tim roof. Next to it a shed and container indicated that work was a foot. Sunny gave me an explanation of the recent developments of the project and showed me, to my surprise, examples of the finalized filter which was a long way from the simple bowl I had seen in Australia.

Driven by engineering concerns and the villagers desire to feel hi-tech, the form has become sharper with straight lines and the inclusion of plastic parts. Not Because it had to, but because the synthetic nature is expected to increase the take up.

The people at Abundant Water have done some great thinking about what it is going to take to get the technology deployed, and in doing so some of the approaches are counter intuitive from a development perspective. Mainly around ensuring that the technology becomes fashionable.

I know I haven't said much in detail here, as it is not mine to say, so I encourage you to go visit their webpage. www.abundantwater.org

The evening was spent with expatriates doing development work with the Laos government and discussing the joys and frustrations thereof. The night was spent at the hotel, chatting with the locals, and englishman and an Iraqi over a few beers.

The morning run was great for the mind and soup for breakfast satisfied the body. Now for some tea. Till next time.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just couldn't let this one pass! Enjoy!!