Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 1



Well, I made it.

This is my third trip for the year and starting to feel rather at home at airports. The familar procedures and structures are becoming all to common. So it was nice when leaving bangkok on Laos airlines, the ground crew all stood in a line and waved us out. A touching gesture from a small company competing against the giants of the airline industry. I think I was I'm the smallest plane to leave Bangkok that day. It's prop engines no match for the jets that surrounded it.

It is of course the wet season and the distinction is all too apparent. Where I remember Laos almost always in the sunshine, I haven't seen the sun yet as the grey clouds meander slowly over from Thailand.

Change is rapid in these parts. Last time I was here the waterfront in Vientiene was a messy organic bank of wild plant and the trucks were just moving in. Now it is a concrete waterfront as seen in many great cities, with a park and new road behind. It is great for a morning run and I hope only that the night market remains.

Life is slow as idle tuk-tuk driver wait for passengers and casual conversations line the sidewalks. That is not to stay that the city doesn't live. As I arrived last night I saw my first crime in Laos as a young boy ripped a necklace of a lady's neck and jumped on an awaiting moto and sped away. There wad nothing to do it happened so quickly leaving only and echo of voices and air of disappointment.

This is after all the big city and every year the roads get harder to cross.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just couldn't let this one pass! Enjoy!!